Why can daily walking before surgery be so important?

A week of daily walking before your surgery can help you recover significantly faster after surgery, I've found in my own patients. And walking is especially important after your procedure; thousands of patients every year are infected with pneumonia because they don't get enough movement; that lets bacteria-infested mucus accumulate in their lungs. Walking helps your lungs get rid of the bad stuff.

Of course, check with your doctor or nurse before you hop out of bed and start trotting off to parts unknown. Be sure you're ready and have someone accompany you during the first few outings.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

4 Ways to Grow 12 Years Younger
4 Ways to Grow 12 Years Younger
Turn back the clock a whopping 12 years with just four simple but super-important habits: Kick butts, booze, junk food, and couch surfing to the curb....
How can I teach my child to eat healthy and exercise?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Healthy habits need to be modeled to your child. You can also start talking about such things fr...
10 Bad Habits That Age You
10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You10 Bad Habits That Age You
Avoid these everyday mistakes that can make your RealAge older.
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes