How can I maintain my lifestyle choices?

Kate Myerson

First ask yourself, is this a change that I can and want to maintain for the rest of my life? If so, develop a routine where these new habits become ingrained in daily life. This of course does not happen overnight but by practicing these behaviors again and again. If the answer to the question was no or unsure, try breaking that lifestyle choice into smaller steps or trying other changes first that seem easier. We cannot make too many drastic changes at once because it is hard to maintain. But breaking them down into easier more manageable steps will help you maintain the lifestyle choices you want to continue.

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Many of us want to change our lifestyle to be one that helps us to be more healthy and content. We may buy a book, go to a workshop, or even take a class in something on a regular basis. It can be very difficult, though, to sustain that change over time. How can we decide to not just want a new lifestyle, but to actually maintain it?

One way that you may be able to help yourself maintain a new lifestyle is to take very small steps toward the ultimate goal. You may wish to practice an hour of yoga postures a day, but can instead start out with ten minutes and build up from there. You may want to begin eating natural foods instead of packaged ones, but begin by switching out one packaged food for its natural alternative each week for several months.

Working on an incremental basis like this will give you very small goals that are manageable. Over time, you'll gradually shift into a totally different lifestyle, but you'll have a much smaller chance of ever being overwhelmed by it.

To maintain lifestyle choices those choices should fit into what you value. When those choices are attached to your values you have more buy-in and are more likely to maintain those lifestyle choices. For example, if  you value health then it would make sense that you take care of your health through a good diet and exercise. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How Light Can Actually Help You Sleep Better
When I was in high school, my parents took us on a long-planned trip to Alaska in the summer.  Being so far north, the sun wouldn’t set until 11 pm. M...
What is cognitive journaling?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Journaling about your feelings with the intent of identifying the irrational, negative or distorted ...
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life5 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life
Give your health a boost by spring cleaning all the spaces in your life.
What Are Some Healthy Food Options That I Can Try?