Can discipline feel liberating?

Bonnie Harris
Pediatrics

Absolutely. Once we have confidence in our discipline principles and ways to implement those principles, parenting becomes so much easier than we ever imagined. But finding that confidence is the work. We must adopt policies that feel right internally and not because we feel pressured by family or society. Adopting policies means learning about child development, temperament, children's needs as well as our own baggage that we bring to parenting. Our assumptions and expectations often have more to do with our own past than our child's needs. All this is much necessary work. Once that is done, the rest is easy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Ask Oz and Roizen: Maternal Obesity and Teen Vaping
Q: My sister is having a baby and has been gaining weight. She has struggled with weight control in the past. How can I help her implement healthier h...
What should I do before I see my doctor about changing my health habits?
Sheri D. PruittSheri D. Pruitt
Prepare yourself before you go to the doctor about health habit changes you want to make. Rememb...
60 Seconds To Better Health
60 Seconds To Better Health60 Seconds To Better Health60 Seconds To Better Health60 Seconds To Better Health
Got a minute? Lengthen your life and relieve stress in just 60 seconds.
Is Drinking From the Milk Carton a Health Hazard to My Family?