How should I do push-ups to improve brain health?

Renowned neurologist Dr. Majid Fotuhi believes push-ups – yes, just good old-fashioned push-ups – are the most important step to strengthening your “brain muscles” and preventing Alzheimer’s. Proper form, however, is key.

Start on the floor, with your hands set at about a shoulder-width distance, angling your hands in a way that feels comfortable. Extend your legs, with your feet also in a comfortable position, generally shoulder-width apart or wider for more stability. Be sure your body is in one straight line from your head to your heels; avoid having your butt or belly either sagging or sticking up. Clenching your butt cheeks and tightening your abs will ensure you’ve engaged your core. Keeping your gaze forward, slowly lower until your elbows form a 90-degree angle, keeping your arms in tight to your body. Then, push yourself back up, still keeping your elbows tight and your core engaged.

For additional support when first starting out, keep your knees bent on the floor and do modified push-ups. Either way, seven push-ups or more a day will help stimulate blood flow to your brain and generate new brain cells, which is the most effective weapon in fighting cognitive disease.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits & The Nervous System

Slow Down Aging by Doing This
Slow Down Aging by Doing This
Wanted: Creative thinker. Is that you? It may not be part of your job description, but if you sharpen this skill, your health may thank you. Why? Bec...
Should I take an afternoon nap to keep my brain healthy?
AARPAARP
You should take an afternoon catnap. Most of the concentration and memory benefits we get from sleep...
How can daydreaming benefit my brain?
You're on a beach with a cold drink in one hand and a sizzling paperback in the other. The beach bre...
How Do You Teach Others to Change Their Lives?