How can daydreaming benefit my brain?

You're on a beach with a cold drink in one hand and a sizzling paperback in the other. The beach breeze kisses your face while the ocean tickles your toes. You hear gulls talking, waves crashing, and the steel-drum band jamming. You smell salt water and coconut sunscreen. Sound like paradise? Well, it's more than that.

That quick mental picture just improved your brain function. See, daydreaming keeps your mind flexible. By stirring up the part of your brain that handles imagination, you keep your brain running outside of its normal thought process, which helps your cognitive function at the highest levels.

Consider daydreaming an important part of your mental action plan. I just want your mind to stay active, so it's up to you what you daydream about, whether it involves Hawaii, Mt. Everest, or a throng of sweaty Chippendales.

http://www.amazon.com/YOU-Updated-Expanded-Insiders-Healthier/dp/0061673161

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits & The Nervous System

The Health Benefits of Having a Hobby
The Health Benefits of Having a Hobby
Bonnie Raitt says her parents would drag her out to play the guitar for visiting family and picking...
Why should I limit my time on the cell phone?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Keeping in our theme of “are you kidding me?” medical research studies, the International Journa...
How does physical exercise help keep my brain healthy?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
Physical exercise boosts blood flow to your brain, quickly delivering more oxygen and nutrients to y...
How Do You Teach Others to Change Their Lives?