Could watching too many cooking shows affect my nutritional diet?

By turning food into such a central focus of modern entertainment, it becomes hard to manage. We feel entitled to it, drawn to it, and because it is affordable and available, we can get it.

The accessibility and ubiquity of food can make the endless litany of food-related programming a minefield for folks who are challenged by food and eating.
Sarah Krieger
This can go either way! If you hate to cook, but love watching cooking shows, perhaps it can be inspiring to start to cook. When you cook food for you and your family, you are control of what ingredients you want to add more of: garlic, hot sauce, basil, etc. You are also eating less salt and fat if you cook instead of dining out (most of the time). By watching shows that use lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean meats, you may want to prepare some of the same dishes!

Now if you watch cooking shows and still don't cook or are eating more than necessary while watching them, try to strike a balance! Look at the shows with entertainment and inspiration at the same time.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Can You Have Your Steak and Eat It, Too?
Should you put red meat out to pasture? For years, you’ve probably heard the advice: Choose leaner proteins like poultry, fish or plant-based foods l...
How do I ensure that I follow the right diet for a healthy life?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Starting today and throughout the rest of the week, cut out anything that you do not in your heart f...
6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween
6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween
You don’t have to sacrifice candy or fun.
How Can I Eat Organic Food On a Budget?
How Can I Eat Organic Food On a Budget?