How can I eat healthy in the new year?

A new year means new beginnings. What better way to treat yourself than with a new healthy eating plan? Sometimes though, New Year's resolutions lead to disappointment because people try to do too much too soon. The key is to take small steps you can actually accomplish.
  • Skip second helpings at dinner.
  • Take a 15-minute walk after lunch.
  • Eat salads with plenty of vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli florets, shredded carrots, or green or red peppers.
  • Eat lean chicken, turkey or beef.
  • Be sure to eat whole grains, fruits and beans, or have whole grain cereal with low-fat or non-fat milk and fresh fruit.
Making small changes and taking steps like these, you will be on your way to eating right in the new year.
First things first get rid of all those bad for you foods in the house. Just clear it all out and don’t purchase it again for the house. Get rid of the sodas, chips, cookies, ice cream etc. Leave these items as a special treat you have once in a while away from the house.

Next avoid prepackaged foods. Most of the time these are high in fat and sodium, while homemade meals not only taste better but you know what’s going into them.

Try making just enough for everyone to have one serving and always serve a salad, that way if someone is still hungry you can pass the salad round again.

Double up on your hot veggies. You don’t have to serve just one at dinner: Peas and sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower, carrots and asparagus.

Brush up on your serving sizes. It’s easy to get away for this. The fist size is the easiest way to measure.
Take time to plan your menus for the week as well as snacks. Think healthy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Slurp Tomato Soup for Arterial Health
Slurp Tomato Soup for Arterial Health
It's no surprise that tomato benefits are wide-ranging. A cup of tomato soup has its pros, too. Aside from warming your insides on a cold winter day, ...
How can I improve the potassium-to-sodium ratio in my diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Tips to naturally improve potassium to sodium ratio in the diet: A) Eat fresh or frozen (plain) v...
7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories
7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories7 Slow Cooker Meals Under 500 Calories
A hearty, home-cooked meal was never simpler. When another chilly evening rolls around, it feels comforting to serve up a warm, hearty and delicious m...
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue