How can I eat a healthy lunch at work?

JJ Virgin
Health Education
Plan ahead. Make sure you've eaten a substantial, healthy breakfast that steadies blood sugar levels. My favorite lunches include big healthy salads or sliced avocado and turkey in a gluten-free wrap. Delicious and portable!

Take advantage of the cafeteria salad bar! Load up your plate with tons of veggies. Top with grilled chicken or beans for protein and a tad of reduced fat salad dressing. Add on a whole wheat pita and fruit salad (also from the salad bar), and you'll have a healthy lunch that will fuel your afternoon work schedule!

Healthy Food - Colors Salad bar, 92572858
Toby Smithson

Pack your lunch in an insulated bag with a freezer pack and choose foods from at least three out of the five food groups. You can pack a sandwich on whole grain bread with some raw vegetables and a piece of fruit to have a balanced and healthy lunch. You may even save time by bringing your lunch to work instead of going out to purchase it.

Is your lunch hour more like a 10-minute break? Or do you find yourself eating with clients for hours on end? No matter how much -- or how little -- time you have for lunch, it's possible to eat well anytime, anywhere.

If you pack a brown-bag lunch, take a sandwich with whole-wheat bread stuffed with lean meat, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Vegetable soups and leftover pasta are great choices, too. Don't forget a piece of fresh fruit for dessert.

At a restaurant, it's easy to choose lighter fare. Many restaurants offer broiled fish with herbs, colorful salads and grilled vegetable plates. Remember, you don't have to finish the entire meal at once. Take leftovers home and save them for another healthy meal.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Superfood Spotlight: Leafy Greens
Superfood Spotlight: Leafy Greens
Ever wondered why a dish prepared with spinach is said to be “Florentine?” Well, it’s because Catherine de Medici, who was from Florence, was a fan of...
What vegetable oils should I avoid?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Limit the intake of omega 6 containing vegetable oils, such as safflower, sunflower, and corn oils -...
8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
Craving comfort food? Here’s how to make sure your favorite winter stew won’t weigh you down.
Apple Pie Breakfast Bulgar
Apple Pie Breakfast Bulgar