What can I cook that is healthy and cheap?

Jennifer Cohen Katz
Eating healthy without busting your budget is very doable.

Sources of protein such as dried lentils, canned beans, and canned tuna are inexpensive and can be mixed into salads or tossed into casseroles.

Fresh and frozen produce can be equally nutritious. Shop for fruits and vegetables that are in season and look for sales.

Whole grains such as brown rice, oats, and barley are very reasonably priced and give you more fiber plus essential nutrients compared to their processed counterparts.

Select store brands of low fat milk, yogurt, and cheese to get your calcium and some vitamin D at the best price.
Check unit prices. Buying healthy items in larger containers often costs less than individual servings.

Here is a recipe using healthy, inexpensive ingredients for you to try:

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 small carrot, grated
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups low fat grated pepper jack cheese, 12 ounces, divided
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 16 6-inch corn tortillas
  1. Preheat oven to 400℉. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with pan spray.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add cumin, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup tomato paste and cook, whisking continuously, for about 1 minute.
  3. Whisk in the vegetable broth, ½ cup water, and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 8 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in salt and pepper, cover and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the pepper jack cheese, beans, spinach, corn, and ½ of the green onions. 
  5. Wrap tortillas in paper towels and microwave on high for 1 minute. Place ⅓ cup filling on each tortilla and roll tightly. Position with seam side down in prepared baking dish.
  6. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup pepper jack cheese over enchiladas and cover with the sauce. Bake the enchiladas uncovered for 18 minutes minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining green onions before serving.
recipe courtesy of www.eatwellmealplans.com
healthy food, healthy diet, diet, green health, grocery, vegetables, nutrition
You can make healthy meals, even on a budget. Watch this video to learn about a healthy meal that stretches your dollar with Dr. Oz and Rachel Ray.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

The Healthy Benefits of Home Cooking
The Healthy Benefits of Home Cooking
Want to make a simple lifestyle change to help you lose weight? Quit eating out for every meal and start cooking at home! Acco...
How can I eat more fruits and vegetables in summer?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
Summer is the best time to eat more fruits and vegetables because there are many in-seasons. Start b...
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
Eating nutritiously doesn’t have to break the bank. 
How Should I Cook with Oil When Preparing Healthy Meals?