What foods should I avoid if I want a healthy diet?

The first step to getting on the path to better eating is to take stock of your pantry. Dr. Mehmet Oz, Vice-Chair and Professor of Surgery at Columbia University, and Dr. Michael Roizen say there are five ingredients that should be banned from your diet forever.

The first to avoid is hydrogenated oil, which often masquerades as partially hydrogenated oil. Dr. Roizen says we also should eliminate sugar and high-fructose corn syrup from our foods. "We eat sixty-three pounds of [high-fructose corn syrup] a year, which puts thirty-three pounds on the typical American," he says.

Enriched flour is the fourth ingredient to avoid. "[Enriched] means they took all the good stuff out and put a little back," Dr. Roizen says. In 1960, Americans didn't use enriched flour, but today we consume 63 pounds a year, he says.

The fifth offenders are white foods -- including bleached flour. The only white items you should have in your fridge are egg whites, cauliflower, and fish, Dr. Roizen says.

Your favorite snack foods won't advertise their artificial ingredients. Oprah's medical experts say you have to read the small print for yourself.

After you've read the ingredients on the label, check out how much saturated fat and sugar is in your food. Dr. Roizen says you want to buy foods that contain less than 4 g of saturated fat and less than 4 g of sugar per serving.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Power Up Your Summer Salads
Power Up Your Summer Salads
Last time you had a salad for your main meal, did you leave the table hungrier than a wolf in a cabbage patch? Sure, a big bowl of greens is good for ...
How can I include low energy-density foods to my meals?
Here are some tips for increasing the volume of low energy-density food in each meal: Want to a...
6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween
6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween6 Ways To Have A Healthier Halloween
You don’t have to sacrifice candy or fun.
Watermelon Popsicles
Watermelon Popsicles