How should I select fresh broccoli?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Broccoli should be deep sage, dark green, or purplish green depending on the variety. The stalks and stems should be firm. Yellowed or wilted leaves indicate loss of much of the nutritional value. Avoid wilted, soft, and noticeably aged broccoli.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Judy Caplan
Look for broccoli heads that are tight, firm, and dark green in color. Look at the bottom of the stalks to make sure they are not discolored. If the heads look yellowish that is an indication that the broccoli is no longer fresh. Once selected, store it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator drawer.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

Limit This Cooking Style for Healthier Breasts
If your weekend barbecue has you thinking you should be grilling every night, consider this: In a study, women who consumed the most barbecued meat o...
Will I be able to feel full on a plant-based diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
You will be able to feel full on a plant-based diet if you're eating a diet that's filled with whole...
5 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables You Need to Eat Right Now
5 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables You Need to Eat Right Now5 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables You Need to Eat Right Now5 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables You Need to Eat Right Now5 Colorful Fruits and Vegetables You Need to Eat Right Now
Pile your plate with a rainbow of vibrant colors for the biggest health boost. Eating your fruits and veggies is important for good health—but so, too...
What Kitchen Tools Can I Purchase to Help Prepare Healthier Meals?