Can supermarket lighting affect what I buy?

Just as your favorite Hollywood star looks better under certain lights, so does your food! Supermarkets actually spotlight foods with different lights to make them seem more appealing, using red lights near the meat section and green lights in the produce section. This practice is a violation of the food code, but it’s difficult to enforce because the health inspector must prove it was done intentionally. If you notice any of these lights in your grocery store, beware! Inspect your produce and meat under a white light before buying to ensure you’re getting the freshest, healthiest selections possible.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

6 Ways to Take the Guilt out of Eating Pancakes
If you've been denying yourself pancakes for health and waist reasons, get out the griddle -- they're back. Play Fast and Loose with the Batter "Pan...
Which type of salad dressing should I choose?
Slim strategy: try an oil-based, reduced-fat dressingLook for salad dressings that contain heart-hea...
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks7 Affordable Health Food Hacks
Eating nutritiously doesn’t have to break the bank.  You want to eat healthy, but after picking up a few items, your budget is blown. Sound familiar? ...
Superfood Salad
Superfood Salad