What are ways to include yogurt in my diet?

Heidi Skolnik, MS
Sports Medicine
To include more yogurt in your diet, you can enjoy a standard parfait, but there are lots of other ways to incorporate yogurt into your favorite recipes. In this video, nutrition specialist Heidi Skolnik shares a few tips for enjoying yogurt. 
Tanya Zuckerbrot

Yogurt is a great addition to anyone's diet! Filled with power-boosting protein and bone-building calcium, yogurt can be eaten at any time of the day and is a great on-the-go snack. Yogurt is also loaded with numerous vitamins such as potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, and vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) as well as B12, which maintains red blood cells and helps keep your nervous system functioning properly. Here are my top 5 ideas to fit yogurt into your daily diet:

• Breakfast Parfait: Layer yogurt, berries, and a high fiber cereal for a healthy breakfast that will keep you satiated for a long period of time!
  • Healthy Dips: Use plain yogurt as a base for dips. One suggestion is use 1 cup of plain yogurt, diced cucumber, parsley, dill, lemon, salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Substitution for Mayo: Plain Greek yogurt is a great mayo sub. Add to chicken, tuna, or egg salads and keep the creamy consistency and taste without the added calories and fat
  • Mid-day Snack: Top crackers with yogurt and sliced strawberries for a mid-day pick me up. 
  • Smoothie-time: Add yogurt to your favorite smoothie and create a creamier texture than using milk alone. Toss in fruit and ice for a delicious and refreshing smoothie any time of the day!

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines