What is the possible downside of eating a diet rich in dairy foods?

Dairy foods are great sources of calcium-a nutrient most American consume far too little of. If you eat a diet rich in dairy, I recommend that you choose low-fat or fat-free versions of dairy foods because the extra fat often leads to too much saturated fat (eating more than 20 grams a day ages you).

Saturated fat carries several health risks. To name a few, it causes inflammation in your arteries, increases your chance of immune dysfunctions and cancer, and causes weight gain-which can have a negative effect on your bones and joints.

Changing to lower-fat dairy foods can easier if you do it gradually. For example, if you're drinking whole milk now, skim milk tastes like lake water. So try this trick. Mix 2% milk with whole milk for one week. Gradually change the proportions until each glass is totally made with 2% milk. Do the same thing all the way until you get down to skim milk. Over eight weeks, skim milk will taste normal and whole milk will eventually taste too fat.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Helping You Recover From Nutrition Info Whiplash
Feeling whiplashed when it comes to sorting nutritional fact from fad? First you hear, “It’s fat that’s bad for you, not sugar!” Then, “No, sugar is b...
Why should I eat non-starchy vegetables?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
Non-starchy vegetables (NSV) are a good source of fiber and they contain many vitamins, minerals, ph...
How can I eat sweets and be healthy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Many of us love our sweets, but there are a lot of ways to satisfy your palette without going overbo...
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating