What are healthy picnic dishes?

If you're heading outdoors this weekend, follow these tips to plan a healthy picnic. For a change from hot dogs and burgers, have:
  • Turkey or chicken breast sandwiches
  • Hummus and whole-wheat pita bread
  • A green salad topped with grilled chicken
  • Veggie or portabella mushroom burgers
  • Assorted cheeses, fruit and crackers
  • Add lots of fruit, sliced vegetables and an angel food cake for dessert
Keep foods safe by keeping perishables like meat, fish, poultry and cheese chilled below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. After the meal has been served, chill all perishable leftovers within one hour.

There are many healthy foods to eat at your summer picnic! For example, choose lean hamburger meat over regular ground beef. Choose a turkey hot dog over beef hot dog. Try grilling portabella mushrooms instead of eating a processed veggie burger. Make sure your buns are whole wheat. When choosing sides, grill potatoes instead of eating potato salad; try corn on the cob instead of pasta salad. 

There are many healthy picnic options. Summer is a great time to take advantage of all the seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh grapes, strawberries and sliced watermelon are healthy and delicious options. Many people also enjoy a healthy cut-vegetable platter. Cold chicken precooked without the skin can be a very healthy alternative to hot dogs or hamburgers with buns.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Redefining What’s Healthy (You Knew It All Along!)
Until the late 1800s bathing was considered unhealthy and a thin layer of dirt was thought to protect a person from bad elements in the air that could...
How do I get ten servings per day of fruits and vegetables?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Some easy tips for reaching the ten-servings-a-day goal for fruits and vegetables include:Buy many k...
How can I make my meals more satisfying with fewer calories?
Your body does possess some mechanisms to sense the number of calories that you consume, but it take...
Are Obese Patients Capable of Eating Right?