What precautions are advised for eating kale (collards)?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Kale is a powerhouse vegetable that is full of nutrients. However, since it is a rich source of Vitamin K, if you are on an anticoagulant medication/blood thinner, eating Kale in large quantities might cause an interference. If you are on an anticoagulant medicine, important to enjoy kale after discussing this with your physician. Also, Kale is naturally high in oxalates which can interfere with calcium absorption. It is best to avoid eating a calcium-rich food at the same time as kale.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Members of the cabbage family contain goitrogens, naturally occurring substances that can interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Dietary goitrogens are usually of no clinical importance unless they are consumed in large amounts or there is coexisting iodine deficiency. Cooking helps to inactivate the goitrogenic compounds. Individuals with already existing and untreated thyroid problems may want to avoid consumption of cabbage-family vegetables in their raw form for this reason. Kale also contains significant amount of oxalate. Individuals with a history of oxalate-containing kidney stones should avoid overconsuming kale and other oxalate-containing greens.

Picture of kale
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Being Undernourished Can Pack on Pounds
Being Undernourished Can Pack on Pounds
Actor Jack O’Connell went on a 700-calorie-a-day diet to portray the emaciated prisoner of war, Olympian Louis Zamperini, in Angelina Jolie’s movie Un...
What does tolerable upper intake level mean?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
The tolerable upper intake levels (UL) for various nutrients are defined as “the highest level of da...
What foods should I include in my daily diet if I want to eat healthy?
Add whole grains like quinoa, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, and who...
The Healthiest Ways to Cook Red Meat
The Healthiest Ways to Cook Red Meat