How can I choose a healthy summer dessert?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Whenever you pick a summer dessert or sweet eating occasion, think about what will satisfy you the most. I recently tasted a greens and avocado popsicle -- yes, it had greens, green apple, and avocado puréed and made into a homemade popsicle -- and it was so yummy that it blew me away. I've had coconut water granitas which I loved because they hydrated me and provided a mellow, not-too-sweet flavor. But I've also enjoyed peanut butter chocolate coconut ice cream and said, "There's nothing better than this!"

So the first rule for making a good decision about a dessert or summer sweet is to figure out what you really want/need.

The second rule should be obvious: portion control. If you practice portion control, you really can have your favorite summer dessert and eat it, too.

And third, keep in mind that quality matters a lot in terms of how your body absorbs nutrients and how "bad" or "good" something is for you nutritionally. Your body knows what to do with food, but chemicals can confuse it -- so stick with organic ingredients without genetically modified organisms (GMOs), pesticides, artificial colorings, and no hormones or antibiotics used.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Helping You Recover From Nutrition Info Whiplash
Feeling whiplashed when it comes to sorting nutritional fact from fad? First you hear, “It’s fat that’s bad for you, not sugar!” Then, “No, sugar is b...
How can I eat sweets and be healthy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Many of us love our sweets, but there are a lot of ways to satisfy your palette without going overbo...
What foods should I include in my daily diet if I want to eat healthy?
Cindy GayCindy Gay
Fill the plate with 1/2 fruits and vegetables, 1/4 whole grains and 1/4 lean meat or substitute. Dri...
How Do You Balance the Need to Cook Good Meals with a Time-Constrained Culture?