What are the health guidelines if I choose to eat meat?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
If you choose to eat meat, we encourage you to:
  • Limit your intake to no more than 3 to 4 ounces daily -- about the size of a deck of playing cards. And choose the leanest cuts available, keeping in mind that the USDA allows the meat and dairy industry to label fat content by weight rather than by percentage of calories. A standard 3 to 4 ounce serving size of meat provides a good amount of protein.
  • Avoid consuming well-done, charbroiled, and fat-laden meats, which are associated with the development of heart disease and cancer.
  • Don't eat cured meats, such as bacon and hot dogs, especially if you are pregnant or a child under age 12. The chemicals used to cure meats are associated with the development of cancer.
  • Buy only USDA Certified Organic meat, eggs, and poultry to avoid unnecessary and potentially harmful consumption of agricultural chemicals, hormones, and antibiotics that are concentrated in conventionally raised meat, eggs, and poultry.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Hawaii Health Alert: Should You Be Worried About Mercury in Fish?
We’ve all heard the warnings—seafood favorites like ahi and ono may be a healthy source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, but they also contain a hi...
Why should I eat healthy food when I'm hungry?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
The following are consequences of eating nutritious food when you're hungry:Our taste buds readjus...
What precautions are advised for eating tomatoes?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Tomatoes are one of the foods most commonly associated with allergic reactions. Tomatoes belong to t...
What Is the Future of Food Science?
What Is the Future of Food Science?