What are some healthy desserts for children?

Some healthy alternatives to more decadent desserts are bowls of berries, frozen juice pops, yogurt, or whole-grain banana muffins. And have you heard? Although it may seem too good to be true, research has shown that one type of chocolate is rich in the same protective antioxidants found in apples and grapes.

The catch is that it’s really only dark chocolate, high in cocoa content, that seems to be of benefit. Not white chocolate. Not milk chocolate. Only rich, dark chocolate. This might taste too bitter to your child’s sensitive taste buds, but you could give it a try with some fruit. If she likes it, having small one- to two-ounce portions of dark chocolate a few times a week is another healthy way to satisfy a sweet-tooth. You can even throw it in with her lunch as a treat.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
The comic Steven Wright once said his mom made only two dishes for dinner -- take it or leave it. That’s the same menu choices offered by researchers ...
How much caffeine is in an average child's diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Many parents who consider coffee unsuitable for their children are serving them sodas, cocoa and oth...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How Can I Get My Child to Eat a Good Breakfast Before School?