Should my child’s diet include fat?

During the early childhood years, kids need dietary fat for proper growth and neurological development. Dietary fat also helps the body absorb certain nutrients and is necessary for maintaining energy levels. But ideally fats should come from nutritious sources such as milk, yogurt, cheese, avocadoes, and nuts. Until the age of 2, children need whole-fat dairy products; after that, switching to lower-fat options is generally acceptable. Fat should make up a little less than a third of your child’s diet. However, because individual dietary needs vary, discuss these recommendations with your child’s pediatrician.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Wimpy was a character in the Popeye cartoon, who “would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” (Not long ago Wimpy made a cameo appearance in ...
Why should teenagers eat snacks?
Jodie ShieldJodie Shield
During the teen years, calorie needs are at an all-time high, especially for boys. Rapid growth ...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
What Are Some Ideas for Packing a Healthy School Lunch for My Child?