Should I ban my child from eating sweets?

Although totally restricting processed sweets for your child may be the healthiest option, it might not be the smartest one. Studies have found that exerting too much control over your child’s diet can have an adverse effect, and kids who aren’t allowed any treats may end up overindulging when given the chance. Restricting treats entirely may lead to an aversion to the foods you want them to eat, and an obsession with the foods they should only be having in limited amounts. So, give in once in a while. Allow a couple of cookies after dinner or some chocolate cake to celebrate a birthday. After all, it’s not the occasional sugar-filled treat that’s detrimental; it’s having a steady diet of sweets.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Don’t ban sweets, but definitely limit them. I would start by making sure you don’t use sweets as a reward system. Also, it is important to limit added sugars, such as brown sugar, honey, candy and juices. The more sugars we eat, the more our body craves sugar. It’s hard to get away from sweets. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
The comic Steven Wright once said his mom made only two dishes for dinner -- take it or leave it. That’s the same menu choices offered by researchers ...
When should kids switch to skim milk?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
The transition from whole milk to skim milk is recommended after the age of 2 if your child is growi...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
What Are Some Ideas for Packing a Healthy School Lunch for My Child?