Should I ban my child from eating sweets?

Although totally restricting processed sweets for your child may be the healthiest option, it might not be the smartest one. Studies have found that exerting too much control over your child’s diet can have an adverse effect, and kids who aren’t allowed any treats may end up overindulging when given the chance. Restricting treats entirely may lead to an aversion to the foods you want them to eat, and an obsession with the foods they should only be having in limited amounts. So, give in once in a while. Allow a couple of cookies after dinner or some chocolate cake to celebrate a birthday. After all, it’s not the occasional sugar-filled treat that’s detrimental; it’s having a steady diet of sweets.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

What Are Some Healthy Snacks That Kids Will Love?
How Can I Get My Child to Eat a Good Breakfast Before School?
How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids