How much caffeine is okay for kids?

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that adolescents should not consume more than 100 mg of caffeine a day (adults 300-400 mg). Young children shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages on a regular basis.

Although the number of foods and beverages containing caffeine has multiplied significantly over the past decade, the Food and Drug Administration has not yet developed pediatric guidelines for caffeine consumption.

“Children under 12 should have no caffeine at all,” says Carlos Lerner, MD, medical director for the UCLA Children’s Health Center.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Beware the Sugar Traps for Kids
Beware the Sugar Traps for Kids
In Willy Wonka, an overweight child named Augustus Gloop goes overboard for sweets and disappears in a vat of chocolate; in Hansel and Gretel the witc...
Why should preschoolers eat snacks?
Jodie ShieldJodie Shield
Preschoolers are, of course, much smaller than adults, but pound for pound their total calorie n...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
What Are Some Ideas for Packing a Healthy School Lunch for My Child?