How do I know if my kids are eating too much?

Easy: they gain extra weight. Depending on the child’s growth spurts and activity levels, the amount he eats will vary. What seems like too much to you might be just what their growing bodies need. If the food is healthy, most kids will eat till they are disinterested or distracted, which usually means they are full. For parents who worry that their child isn’t eating enough, I remind them that compared to adult servings, a child’s serving is pretty small. For instance, a toddler-sized serving may be as small as just a couple tablespoons.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
The comic Steven Wright once said his mom made only two dishes for dinner -- take it or leave it. That’s the same menu choices offered by researchers ...
What are some ideas for packing a healthy school lunch for my child?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Protein-rich snacks would be a good option. Try things like cheese sticks, little peanut butter cups...
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
These creative and nutritious bites will be a huge hit with the little ones. 
How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables