How do I know if my kids are eating too much?

Easy: they gain extra weight. Depending on the child’s growth spurts and activity levels, the amount he eats will vary. What seems like too much to you might be just what their growing bodies need. If the food is healthy, most kids will eat till they are disinterested or distracted, which usually means they are full. For parents who worry that their child isn’t eating enough, I remind them that compared to adult servings, a child’s serving is pretty small. For instance, a toddler-sized serving may be as small as just a couple tablespoons.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Why You Should Talk to Your Kids About Unhealthy Food Ads
In 1955, when James Dean starred in Rebel Without a Cause, he made teen angst and defiance cool for a whole generation of kids. Well, now researchers ...
What is the School Breakfast Program?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
For over 40 years, the School Breakfast Program (SBP) has been helping millions of kids start th...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How Parent's Work Schedules Affect Kids' Weight