How can I include fruits and vegetables in my child's breakfast?

Mary Mullen
Fruit fits easily into breakfast, but vegetables can be a challenge. Here are some tips to help you wake up your kid’s fruit and vegetable appetite:
  • Stir things up. For a quick breakfast, add raisins or chopped dates to instant oatmeal or stir blueberries, strawberries, or sliced banana into whole grain cereal with fat-free milk.
  • Get scrambling! Add fresh or frozen chopped spinach, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes to scrambled eggs or omelets. Really, any veggies will work!
  • Make a breakfast sandwich. Top a whole wheat English muffin with either reduced-fat peanut butter and banana slices or a poached egg, a slice of Canadian bacon, and a pineapple ring.
  • Batter up. Add grated carrots or zucchini to pancake, quick bread, or muffin batter.
  • Drink your produce. Whir carrots and fresh orange juice in a blender for a refreshing breakfast beverage.
  • Say “Olé!” Make a breakfast burrito by wrapping low-fat cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, and diced bell peppers in a whole wheat tortilla. You can also make a vegetable and cheese quesadilla in a nonstick pan with a scant amount of canola oil.
  • Pick a fruit pizza. Spread reduced-fat dinner rolls in a pizza pan and bake. Top the pizza with orange sections or slices of kiwi, apples, or strawberries and drizzle fat-free vanilla yogurt over the top.
  • Make a quick white or sweet potato hash. Grate the potatoes -- they cook faster that way. Place the potatoes in a glass bowl and microwave about three minutes or until hot; drain any juice. Heat a skillet or frying pan on the stove and then stir-fry the potatoes with a teaspoon of olive oil until crispy.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

One of the easiest ways is to make a fruit smoothie:

• Combine a nonfat fruit yogurt, frozen berries, and a slash of nonfat milk in a blender. 
  • Blend until smooth. Pour into a tall glass. Serve with a whole grain muffin for a healthy breakfast.
Picture of fruit
Toby Smithson

Fruit and vegetables can be added to make a smoothly with 1 cup of low fat milk. Fruit can be added to make a yogurt parfait with whole grain cereal added as well. Fruit can also be added to hot or cold cereal. Another fun breakfast is to make fruit or vegetable kabobs and this can be served with a sweet or savory yogurt dip. A veggie burrito is another option for adding chopped vegetables to a breakfast, lunch or dinner meal.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch
For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer practice or making sure they get their homework done. ...
How can I control the amount of caffeine in my child's diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Parents that wish to limit their children’s consumption of caffeine need to read the labels of foods...
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
These creative and nutritious bites will be a huge hit with the little ones.  Whether you’re throwing a birthday party, cheering on your favorite foot...
How Can I Get My Child to Eat a Good Breakfast Before School?