How healthy are lunches served at school cafeterias?

School cafeterias are making strides toward serving healthier lunches. Federal nutrition standards require schools to offer more fruits, vegetables and whole grains and to limit the sodium, calories and saturated and trans fats in school foods.

Schools increasingly offer self-serve salad or produce bars, in addition to the traditional serving line. And a growing number of schools provide healthy grab-and-go options, such as prepackaged salads, whole fruit and packaged produce like bags of baby carrots, grapes and sliced apples.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Limit Kids’ Sugar to Prevent Chronic Disease
In 1966, when Len Barry sang “1-2-3 … let’s fall in love, it’s easy (it’s so easy) Like takin’ candy from a baby,” he was nominated for a Grammy Award...
Should I ban my child from eating sweets?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Don’t ban sweets, but definitely limit them. I would start by making sure you don’t use sweets as a ...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids