How can I choose healthy after-school snacks for my child?

To choose a healthy after-school snack for your child, steer clear of high-sugar, high-fat treats, like candy bars, cookies and chips. These foods won’t keep your child satisfied for very long and are full of empty calories. So she won't ask for junk food, don't keep it in the house. Instead, stock up on nutritious foods that are high in fiber (to help keep her full until dinnertime) and low in fat and calories. These kinds of snacks don't have to be boring for kids. Here are some examples of nutritious, kid-friendly after-school snacks:
  • popcorn
  • cut-up veggies with a dip like hummus or guacamole
  • smoothies made from fresh fruit and low-fat yogurt
  • a yogurt parfait (layers of vanilla yogurt, low-fat granola and fresh fruit)
  • apple or pear slices dipped in peanut butter
  • whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk and berries
  • a whole-grain English muffin with a sliced tomato and cheese melted on top

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables
What Are Some Healthy Snacks That Kids Will Love?
What Are Some Healthy After-School Snacks I Can Have Ready for My Kids?
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?