How early should I teach my child healthy eating habits?

Start feeding them healthfully now. Even if your child is still almost a baby, begin keeping a wide selection of healthy foods at home. You want him to learn to eat nutritious food early -- even if he doesn’t have a clue what he’s eating! The earlier he’s exposed to good habits, the easier it will be to make them second nature.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
Believe it or not, you can start teaching your child healthy eating habits in utero! Research shows that baby’s first food preferences can be altered by his mother’s food choices. The phenomenon is so important that it prompted the American Academy of Pediatrics to make a remarkable statement in 2006. They said:

“Both amniotic fluid and breast milk provide flavor exposure to the fetus and infant. These exposures influence taste preference and food choices after weaning. Thus, exposure to healthier foods through maternal food consumption during pregnancy and lactation may improve acceptance of healthy foods after weaning. Because infant responses to taste are different from mature taste, these early exposures may be critical in determining food preference later in life.”

Clearly, it’s never too early to start teaching your child healthy eating habits!
Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond

The new "baby feeding bible" from the award-wining author of Raising Baby Green Called the "Al Gore of Parenting" by Parenting Magazine, Dr. Alan Greene has written the follow up to his...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
When Eddie (John C. Reilly) from the animated hit film Sing croons, “Can I get a Happy Meal with big nuggets?” and Johnny (Taron Egerton) the gorilla ...
Why should preschoolers eat snacks?
Jodie ShieldJodie Shield
Preschoolers are, of course, much smaller than adults, but pound for pound their total calorie n...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?