How common are vitamin deficiencies in children?

With the exception of vitamins D and E and calcium, dietary deficiencies of vitamins and minerals are rare among children eight and younger in the United States. For young children, the problem is the opposite -- the risk of too much intake of some nutrients from fortified foods and supplements. Multiple studies found that children under age 8 are at risk of consuming vitamin A, zinc and niacin at levels above the tolerable upper intake level. For example, one study published this year (2014) found that from food alone, including naturally occurring and fortified sources, 45% of children ages 2 to 8 consume too much zinc, 13% get too much vitamin A and 8% consume too much niacin.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
Making Nutrition Fun Helps Kids Change
The comic Steven Wright once said his mom made only two dishes for dinner -- take it or leave it. That’s the same menu choices offered by researchers ...
What’s the best way for me to get my kids to eat vegetables?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Give kids and A and B choice. Say, “Do you want broccoli or carrots with your meal tonight?” First, ...
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
These creative and nutritious bites will be a huge hit with the little ones.  Whether you’re throwing a birthday party, cheering on your favorite foot...
How Can I Get My Child to Eat a Good Breakfast Before School?