How common is excessive nutrient intake from fortified foods in preteens?

Overconsumption of nutrients from fortified food products is less of a concern for older children than young children because their greater body weight raises both their nutritional needs and tolerable upper intake levels. However, even children ages 9 to 13 who take daily multivitamins and consume fortified foods may ingest too much zinc and vitamin A. About 32% of 9-year-olds to 13-year-olds that take supplements exceed the upper limit for zinc, and 21% exceed the limit for vitamin A. Niacin intake from all sources exceeds the upper limit in 11% of children ages 9 to 13. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Wimpy was a character in the Popeye cartoon, who “would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” (Not long ago Wimpy made a cameo appearance in ...
How can I control the amount of caffeine in my child's diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Parents that wish to limit their children’s consumption of caffeine need to read the labels of foods...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas. For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer pra...
How Can I Help My Child Choose Healthy Foods From the Cafeteria?