What is a good nutrient balance for a toddler?

You don't need to calculate nutritionals at every meal, try to think about overall nutritional balance. A good ballpark figure is for kids to have about 20 percent to 25 percent of a day's calories from protein (important for muscle building), 20 percent to 25 percent from healthy fat, and 50 percent to 60 percent from healthy carbs: whole-grain starches, fruits, and veggies.

Another note about nutrients: Children need 800 milligrams of calcium, and toddlers, 500 to 600 milligrams daily. Since 60 percent of bone mass is accumulated by puberty, around age thirteen, you want to make sure that kids get enough early on to build a strong skeletal foundation.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

5 Tips for Packing the Perfect School Lunch
For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer practice or making sure they get their homework done. ...
What are some healthy breakfast ideas that kids will eat?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Healthy and tasty breakfast ideas for children and the entire family include: Whole grain cereal...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas. For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer pra...
What Are Some Healthy After-School Snacks I Can Have Ready for My Kids?