How true is it that sugar makes children hyperactive?

Nothing would make a parent happier than finding the cause of hyperactive behavior. But alas, the sugar-hyperactivity myth has been debunked. There have been numerous studies looking at the role of dietary sugar in children and there is no evidence that it makes kids hyper. They tested the effects of natural sugars such as those found in fruit and added sugars like those found in candy bars. Interestingly enough, parents perceived their child as hyperactive when they were told they had consumed a sweetened soft drink, when in fact it was sugar-free.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Improve Kids' Nutrition With Incentives
Wimpy was a character in the Popeye cartoon, who “would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” (Not long ago Wimpy made a cameo appearance in ...
What are dietary guidelines for children?
Cambria L. Garell, MDCambria L. Garell, MD
A healthy, balanced diet for children should include meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients and...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
What Are Some Healthy After-School Snacks I Can Have Ready for My Kids?