Do children consume excessive fortified nutrients in food?

Yes, they do and there are two reasons why: The first is that food manufacturers discovered that adding nutrients and putting health claims on packaging sells products, which has made voluntary fortification of certain types of foods ubiquitous. The second reason is simply that the Federal Drug Administration’s (FDA) outdated dietary daily values on nutrition facts labels are based on adult dietary needs. They were set in 1968 -- more than 40 years ago -- when the primary concerns were still nutritional deficiencies. The current disconnect between current daily values for nutrition labeling and children’s actual nutrition needs puts millions of American children at risk of excessive exposure to vitamin A, zinc and niacin.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

What Are Some Ideas for Packing a Healthy School Lunch for My Child?
How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables
How Can I Get My Child to Eat a Good Breakfast Before School?
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids