Will my baby be aware of me immediately after he or she has been born?

During the first hour of life, a healthy baby shows a high level of alertness and an ability to interact with parents. The baby recognizes the parents’ voices and smell. This time is ideal for the baby to be introduced to the parents with snuggling and breastfeeding. This time, also known as “familiarization,” calms the baby after birth and enhances the bonding (attachment) of parents with their baby. The first hour after a baby’s birth is ideally reserved for the baby and parents to get to know each other.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

Ways to Keep Your Baby Safe While Sleeping
It’s a tradition in mystical Judaism (Kabbalah) for parents to tie a red ribbon around a leg of the crib to protect their sleeping infant from the Evi...
How can a pacifier be harmful for my baby?
Shelley Chermak - Elite Trainer, RNShelley Chermak - Elite Trainer, RN
Infants have an innate need to suck and that is why many babies will thumb-suck or use pacifiers.  T...
7 Things You Haven't Childproofed, But Should
7 Things You Haven't Childproofed, But Should7 Things You Haven't Childproofed, But Should7 Things You Haven't Childproofed, But Should7 Things You Haven't Childproofed, But Should
Babies and toddlers can get into more trouble than you might imagine. Douglass Holtzman, MD, explains the household dangers you should watch out for a...
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?