Why should I swaddle my baby?

Some babies LOVE being swaddled. Others HATE it. Experiment with swaddling -- try both arms swaddled, one out, and both out -- some babies like these variations. But don't insist on swaddling if your peanut can't stand it.

Every baby has their own sensory preferences. Some like being rocked. Some are soothed by music. Some want to be held (and swaddled) a lot. Others need quiet, low-stimulation environments. Pay close attention to the sensations that seem to calm your baby, and use what you learn to help baby adjust to this big, complicated world!
You've likely heard all about swaddling - that seemingly mathematical formula for wrapping a blanket around a baby. Some people think swaddling is done for warmth, and some think it's for comfort. But the major reason swaddling is so important is because it helps limit the startling "moro" reflex so babies don't wake themselves up.

You can swaddle your child for much of the day when he's sleeping or resting and loosen up the reins as he stays awake longer and seems curious about moving around, starting at about three months. Swaddling is very effective for cranky babies, since the reason they're fussy is often that they actually want to sleep but can't calm themselves down. Just make sure you do it properly.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

9 Ways to Keep Your Baby Calm at The Doctor
The life of a newborn is often a whirlwind of feedings, diaper changes, nighttime wakeups—and doctor’s visits. Even within their first day or so of en...
How should I carry my newborn baby?
Hold your baby in front of you, kangaroo style, as much as you can. It's the ideal way to carry ...
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
Protect your little one’s skin and relieve cold-weather dryness and more.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?