When should I choose a doctor for my baby?

I recommend asking your friends, family, and your obstetrician. Then compile a list of a few doctors and schedule a “prenatal consultation.” This will allow you to meet the pediatrician and ask him/her questions about their practice. Then you will be able to make an informed decision on which doctor would best fit your family and health care goals.
Babies’ healthcare needs are different from those of adults, so it’s important to choose a healthcare professional who can provide specialized care such as a pediatrician or a family practice physician. You should select a doctor for your baby as soon as possible, ideally in the final months of pregnancy.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
If you haven't already done so, it is important to choose a doctor or other care provider for your baby before the end of your pregnancy. It may seem early, but there are a couple of reasons to do this now:
  • Your newborn will need to be examined by a doctor or nurse-practitioner before you leave the hospital after delivery. (If your baby comes before you have chosen a provider, you can ask the hospital to have an in-house pediatrician or nurse-practitioner perform the newborn examination.)
  • Several well-baby checkups and immunizations are recommended within the first weeks and months of birth. For consistent and timely care, you need to establish a relationship with a caregiver to meet these needs. He or she will also be available to guide and support you as your little one grows and develops.
In addition, while uncommon, some mothers and their newborns require special care before going home. In cases like this, most parents would prefer to stay with their baby in the same facility.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

What You Need to Know About SIDS
What You Need to Know About SIDS
There’s plenty to worry about when it comes to an infant’s health, but how do you prevent a serious condition that has no obvious cause? Sudden infant...
What is the social value of breastfeeding?
Maria E. Poortenga, MDMaria E. Poortenga, MD
The social value of breastfeeding comes from the perspective of its benefit to the population. Breas...
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
Protect your little one’s skin and relieve cold-weather dryness and more.
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?