What is skin-to-skin holding?

Skin-to-skin holding is a term used for placing an infant wearing only a diaper against the mother's bare skin, chest to chest in an upright position. It is also known as "kangaroo care." This can occur directly after birth and can help with bonding for both full-term and preterm infants. There is good evidence that doing this immediately after birth makes the transition from fetal to newborn life occur more smoothly for the infant. It has been shown that mothers benefit from this experience as well.
Skin-to-skin holding simply means holding your baby so that your bare skin touches her bare skin. This close human touch warms and comforts your baby and helps the two of you bond. Also called “kangaroo care,” skin-to-skin is especially good for breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

What It Means When Your Baby Hurls
What It Means When Your Baby Hurls
Hurling, perhaps the world’s fastest and oldest field game, was brought to Ireland by the Celts more than 2,000 years ago. Think of it as a combo of l...
Is my baby's flat head dangerous?
First CandleFirst Candle
Also known as “positional plagiocephaly”, experts agree that a flat head is rarely a serious conditi...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?