What is skin-to-skin holding?

Skin-to-skin holding is a term used for placing an infant wearing only a diaper against the mother's bare skin, chest to chest in an upright position. It is also known as "kangaroo care." This can occur directly after birth and can help with bonding for both full-term and preterm infants. There is good evidence that doing this immediately after birth makes the transition from fetal to newborn life occur more smoothly for the infant. It has been shown that mothers benefit from this experience as well.
Skin-to-skin holding simply means holding your baby so that your bare skin touches her bare skin. This close human touch warms and comforts your baby and helps the two of you bond. Also called “kangaroo care,” skin-to-skin is especially good for breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

More than 75,000 Britax Car Seats Recalled
Parents, take note: More than 75,000 infant car seats from baby product maker Britax have been recalled due to defective handles. Fortunately, they’re...
What should I do with my baby immediately after he or she is born?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Immediately following delivery, parents, their infants and a significant other should spend time get...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?