What is in-toeing?

In-toeing is a term used to describe a tendency for first-time walkers to turn their feet inward. For most toddlers, this condition is painless and typically corrects as the child grows. Most children in-toe because of a slight rotation of the bones in the lower legs, which usually corrects with age. Your pediatrician will monitor this process closely as your child grows and walking skills improve.
In utero, most babies are stuck with their feet internally rotated or toeing in. Parents don't necessarily see it until the kid starts trying to walk. In 95 percent of children, this torsion resolves itself by twelve to eighteen months, after they start walking. Numerous studies have shown that bracing does not speed up the process. Very rarely, a child will have clinically significant toeing in and torsion leading to ongoing falls by age four years; that child can benefit from a referral to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon to see if he needs corrective surgery.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

What You Need to Know About SIDS
What You Need to Know About SIDS
There’s plenty to worry about when it comes to an infant’s health, but how do you prevent a serious condition that has no obvious cause? Sudden infant...
How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are s...
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
Protect your little one’s skin and relieve cold-weather dryness and more.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?