What should I do with my baby immediately after he or she is born?

Immediately following delivery, parents, their infants and a significant other should spend time getting to know each other. During this period, your nurse will dry your infant and place the baby skin-to-skin on your chest, allowing for the most intimate and tender contact with your child. Research shows us that early contact between mothers and infants promotes more positive relationships between the two.

Because babies see clearly for about eight to 12 inches, placing your baby on your chest is perfect for both of you to look into loving and precious eyes. Parents naturally touch, hold and cradle their newborn babies. Gentle touch triggers a variety of physiological and emotional responses. Babies are calmed by the gentle touch of loving parents. Touching your baby also promotes a healthy immune system for the newborn. The intensity of your feelings grows deeper as you continue to interact with your baby. This very personal and private time will nurture these loving and unique feelings.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

More than 75,000 Britax Car Seats Recalled
Parents, take note: More than 75,000 infant car seats from baby product maker Britax have been recalled due to defective handles. Fortunately, they’re...
How can I make my newborn baby comfortable?
Here are some techniques that can help you keep your little one calm and comfy in those first fe...
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
Protect your little one’s skin and relieve cold-weather dryness and more.
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?