Where can I get parental classes to help me after my delivery?

Many first-time parents have never cared for a newborn. Hospitals, community education centers, and places of worship sometimes offer baby care classes. These classes cover the basics, such as diapering, feeding, and bathing your newborn. You also will learn these basic skills in the hospital before you are discharged.

In some communities parenting classes are available. Children do not come with how-to manuals. So some parents appreciate learning about the different stages of child development, as well as practical skills for dealing with common issues, such as discipline or parent-child power struggles. Counselors and social workers often teach this type of class. If you are interested in parenting programs, ask your child's doctor for help finding a class in your area.

This information is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Missey Moe-Cook
Health Education
Many Hospitals that offer Maternity Services also have a Parent Family Education Department. The Parent Family Education Department will offer a variety of classes regarding infant care. Titles to look in for the roster of classes would be "Baby Care Basics", "Parenting", Infant Feeding", Infant CPR", "Mommy and Me" classes. You might also look at your local YMCA for Parenting Classes.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

What It Means When Your Baby Hurls
What It Means When Your Baby Hurls
Hurling, perhaps the world’s fastest and oldest field game, was brought to Ireland by the Celts more than 2,000 years ago. Think of it as a combo of l...
How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are s...
What Really Works to Protect Your Newborn From SIDS
What Really Works to Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Works to Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Works to Protect Your Newborn From SIDSWhat Really Works to Protect Your Newborn From SIDS
The exact cause of SIDS is unknown, but you can still take steps to reduce the risk. It’s not uncommon to find a parent standing next to their sleepi...
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?