Is my baby's flat head dangerous?

Also known as “positional plagiocephaly”, experts agree that a flat head is rarely a serious condition and can be avoided if parents make a conscious effort to change the direction the infant’s head faces when they are on their backs.

In the vast majority of the cases when a baby develops a flattened head, the problem usually resolves with time (by six months to one year of age) as the baby spends more time awake and begins to roll, sit and crawl. The use of helmets (usually costing in the range of $2,000) or surgery to correct this is rarely needed. It is recommended that parents consult  their doctor if they are concerned about a more abnormal flattening of the head to eliminate the possibility of a more serious condition such as torticollis (a tightening of the muscles of one side of the neck) or craniosynostosis (a very rare premature closing of the sutures of the skull).

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

More than 75,000 Britax Car Seats Recalled
Parents, take note: More than 75,000 infant car seats from baby product maker Britax have been recalled due to defective handles. Fortunately, they’re...
How should I care for my 2-month-old baby?
Here are some tips for taking care of your two-month-old baby: Play some Beethoven or Black Eyed P...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?