How can I prevent a flat spot on my baby's head?

You can turn your baby’s head to the opposite side she normally turns her head once she's asleep. You can also do tummy time while baby is awake, but remember to always put baby on her back when it’s time to sleep. Baby will better tolerate short, frequent sessions of tummy time than longer sessions. Alternate the direction of her head when you lay baby down for diaper changes.
Since babies started sleeping on their backs, there has been an increase in parents reporting a flat spot on the back of their baby’s head. Experts say that this is normal and will disappear after the baby has begun to sit up and crawl. There are simple steps parents and caregivers can take to avoid flat spots: alternate the end of the crib where you place your baby’s head for sleep; alternate the arm in which you hold your baby for feedings; give your baby lots of tummy time when he or she is awake and being supervised; and make sure that your baby does not spend too much time in car seats, carriers, swings and other similar products.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

More than 75,000 Britax Car Seats Recalled
Parents, take note: More than 75,000 infant car seats from baby product maker Britax have been recalled due to defective handles. Fortunately, they’re...
What are some pain management techniques for infants under 12 months old?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
For pain management in infants under 12 months old, try the following pain management and distractio...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?