How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?

You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are stressed or anxious, so the more prepared you are the more relaxed you will be around your baby. It is important to keep your baby’s routines and environment as normal as possible. Bring your baby’s favorite comfort items like a blanket, toy or pacifier. It may also be helpful to bring a familiar bottle for after surgery. Also, understand that babies get fussy in new and uncomfortable situations, so be prepared to distract and comfort your baby.

To help your infant cope with hospitalization, try the following:
  • Participate in your baby's care.
  • Have contact with your baby. Ask a hospital staff member to show you how to hold your baby with equipment.
  • Use comfort positioning during procedures (not restraining).
  • Avoid hunger and maintain a warm room temperature.
  • Decrease the number of caregivers.
  • Use a sound soother or mobile.
  • Use comfort items like a blanket and favorite toys.
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

Should I Let My Baby ‘Cry It Out’?
Should I Let My Baby ‘Cry It Out’?
For most new parents, sleep deprivation is a rite of passage. At times it may seem like your newborn isn’t sleeping at all. In reality, many babies ac...
How do I give an infant massage?
Do it when she's quiet, yet not ready to fall asleep. And pick the same, soft music each time; she w...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?