How developed is my baby’s brain at birth?

At birth, the brain is on the verge of explosive growth. An infant’s brain has 100 billion nerve cells called “neurons.” These neurons will grow and connect with other neurons in systems that control important functions such as sight, speech, hearing, movement and emotions. The nurturing care infants receive now will enhance their physical and emotional growth.

Newborn babies can see, hear and feel what’s happening around them. They also can process information. For instance, they know the difference between their mother’s voice and someone else’s. From the beginning, infants should be talked to, read to, sung to and held lovingly to stimulate healthy development.

Most of a child’s brain growth and development will occur during the first three years of life. How we nurture and care for our children during this time will impact their readiness for school, emotional development and future potential as adults.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

Exposing Kids to Peanuts Early May Prevent Allergy Later
When I was growing up, PB & J was a lunch box staple, but due to the increase in peanut allergies (which has quadrupled over the past 13 years), many ...
What is skin-to-skin holding?
Skin-to-skin holding is a term used for placing an infant wearing only a diaper against the mother's...
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter9 Ways to Care for Your Baby’s Skin in Winter
Protect your little one’s skin and relieve cold-weather dryness and more.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?