Are babies able to smell before they are born?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
At about 30 weeks, babies start developing a sense of smell as their nasal cavities open and amniotic fluid begins to course through it. And, the smell of the amniotic fluid can influence a baby’s preferences after birth. Studies show babies prefer smells they learn before birth to ones they learn as newborns which is likely due to taste and smell being the dominant senses before birth, coloring the baby’s experience of the world.

When a pregnant woman smells something, there’s a good bet that those same molecules make their way across the placenta so that the baby smells it too. Plan ahead to share with your baby the tastes and smells you would love for her to love. I recommend that if there is a flavor or aroma you really want your baby to learn, aim for twelve times during the second and third trimesters.
Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond

The new "baby feeding bible" from the award-wining author of Raising Baby Green Called the "Al Gore of Parenting" by Parenting Magazine, Dr. Alan Greene has written the follow up to his...

Continue Learning about Healthy Baby

Exposing Kids to Peanuts Early May Prevent Allergy Later
When I was growing up, PB & J was a lunch box staple, but due to the increase in peanut allergies (which has quadrupled over the past 13 years), many ...
How do I take my child's rectal temperature?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Taking a rectal temperature is best for children under 4 months old. Here's how: To take a rectal...
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent10 Worst Things to Say to a New Parent
We’re sure you mean well—but these gems are best left unsaid.
How Should I Answer Criticism About the Choices I Make In Raising My Baby?