What is a healthy weight gain goal for an athlete?

Weight gain in athletes should be carefully considered. Gaining weight that is not muscle can cause problems later in life for some individuals. For example, a high school boy gaining 50 pounds of non-muscle mass to play a specific position in football can make him prone to diabetes and high blood pressure. 

It is best to consult with your health care provider to set safe and appropriate goals for weight gain as an athlete. This way, you can work on an appropriate goal that is specific for your sport. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What can I eat to help my body recover from sports practice or a game?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The goals of recovery nutrition are to replace fluids and electrolytes, replace energy stores, and r...
What should I eat after a workout?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
After a workout you should eat protein and carbs to get the most from your exercise, especially if i...
What Is Carb-Cycling?
What Is Carb-Cycling?