What is a healthy weight gain goal for an athlete?

Weight gain in athletes should be carefully considered. Gaining weight that is not muscle can cause problems later in life for some individuals. For example, a high school boy gaining 50 pounds of non-muscle mass to play a specific position in football can make him prone to diabetes and high blood pressure. 

It is best to consult with your health care provider to set safe and appropriate goals for weight gain as an athlete. This way, you can work on an appropriate goal that is specific for your sport. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
As an athlete, how can I lose weight without losing muscle mass?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If you're trying to lose weight, your goal is to lose one pound per week. Reducing caloric intake by...
What are some good foods to eat before a long run for energy?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Fruit is my go to food before a long run, usually in the form of a smoothie. I have also used energy...
How Has Technology Improved Precision in Training?