What is nutrition periodization for a competitive athlete?

Nutrition periodization is the concept of varying nutritional intake along with training cycles. For example, during preseason, your training volume and intensity is at its highest. Therefore, your nutritional needs increase. During the season, when you are competing, your training volume usually goes down because the goal is to maintain strength and endurance that you built during preseason. More frequent, small meals and healthy snacks with a reduction in overall caloric intake are recommended. Off-season nutrition should correspond to your goals. The goal, whatever the point in your season, is to eat carbohydrates, lean protein, and fruits and vegetables.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

How Has Technology Improved Precision in Training?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Should I Fuel for a Workout?
How Does an Olympic Athlete Fuel His Body?
What You Should Eat After a Workout
What You Should Eat After a Workout