What foods can an athlete eat to increase iron levels?

Low iron levels can occur for a variety of reasons, one of which is a nutritional deficit in what you are eating. Chicken and beef livers are excellent sources of iron. Red meat (beef) is also a good source of iron. Meats can be high in fat, so if you prefer eating nonanimal sources, then beans, pumpkin seeds, and legumes (soybeans) are great options. There are also cereals and oatmeal brands that have added iron.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
Are supplements and diet pills safe for athletes?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
It depends on the athlete’s physiological state (health and potential contraindications) and what he...
What should I eat before a workout?
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, feed you...
What Should I Eat Before a Workout?
What Should I Eat Before a Workout?