What should I eat if I’m training for a marathon?

While you're in training, it's best to eat a balanced, varied diet with plenty of carbohydrates. And don't forget to drink enough water to replace what you lose in training.

In the week before your event, increase your intake of bread, rice, pasta, cereal, and potatoes as well as fruits and vegetables. This will help you top off your glycogen stores for the big day. But on the evening before your competition, avoid whole-grain, high-fiber, or fatty foods. They take too long to digest.

Water Needs: Hydration becomes particularly important during endurance events, when dehydration is a likely possibility, especially in warm weather. During extreme exercise, water alone may not be enough to replenish the fluids you lose, so to help your body use liquids, drink a potassium-containing sports drink or lick a dab of salt before you drink water. Also, sports drinks with electrolytes and carbohydrates can help with hydration and supply you with a source of energy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

What You Should Eat After a Workout
What You Should Eat After a Workout
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?
Can Athletic Training Technology Have Uses Outside of Training?
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?
How Much Does Diet Impact Athletes?