What should I eat if I’m training for a marathon?

While you're in training, it's best to eat a balanced, varied diet with plenty of carbohydrates. And don't forget to drink enough water to replace what you lose in training.

In the week before your event, increase your intake of bread, rice, pasta, cereal, and potatoes as well as fruits and vegetables. This will help you top off your glycogen stores for the big day. But on the evening before your competition, avoid whole-grain, high-fiber, or fatty foods. They take too long to digest.

Water Needs: Hydration becomes particularly important during endurance events, when dehydration is a likely possibility, especially in warm weather. During extreme exercise, water alone may not be enough to replenish the fluids you lose, so to help your body use liquids, drink a potassium-containing sports drink or lick a dab of salt before you drink water. Also, sports drinks with electrolytes and carbohydrates can help with hydration and supply you with a source of energy.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
What can I eat during a rain delay that will keep me ready to play?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Fruit is a good food to eat during delays. It will provide nutrients as well as keep you hydrated fo...
How much protein do I need daily when training for a marathon?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
The simplest and safest answer is ~1 gram (g) of protein per pound of body weight for all athletes d...
What Is Carb-Cycling?
What Is Carb-Cycling?