What can I eat to help my body recover from sports practice or a game?

The goals of recovery nutrition are to replace fluids and electrolytes, replace energy stores, and rebuild muscle. To accomplish these goals, carbohydrates, protein, and fluids/electrolytes become the most important nutritional components.

During hard exercise, you will dramatically decrease your carbohydrate stores. Consuming 0.5 to 0.7 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body weight during the first 30 minutes following exercise is critical to begin replenishing your stores. Foods such as 1 bagel, 3 slices of white bread, 2 pancakes or pieces of French toast, a large muffin, 2 pieces of fruit, 1 cup of cold cereal, 10 ounces of fruit juice, or 16 ounces of chocolate or strawberry milk will provide you with approximately 50 grams of carbohydrates. To completely replenish your lost carbohydrate stores, you should consume at least an additional 50 grams of carbohydrates within 2 hours.

Protein is also important to include in your recovery nutrition. Protein is necessary to begin repairing muscles that have been damaged from exercise. You should consume approximately 10 to 20 grams of protein within the first 30 minutes following exercises. Foods to consider include 1 ounce of meat, poultry, fish, or seafood; 2 eggs or egg whites; 8 ounces of milk; 1 cup of yogurt; 1/2 cup of beans; 1/3 cup of nuts; or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.

The simplest guide for fluid/electrolyte replacement is the amount of weight lost during exercise. Weigh yourself before and after activity. You should drink 16 to 24 ounces of fluid for every pound you lose. Water and/or an electrolyte beverage are recommended.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
How much protein do I need daily when training for a marathon?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
The simplest and safest answer is ~1 gram (g) of protein per pound of body weight for all athletes d...
What health problems can a female athlete have if she doesn't eat enough?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Some female athletes have a difficult time balancing their body’s need for energy to compete properl...
What Is Carb-Cycling?
What Is Carb-Cycling?