Are there special nutrition needs for skaters?

Amy Jamieson-Petonic
Yes, skaters do have unique nutritional needs. Their needs for carbohydrates and protein may be increased, and it is important that they stay hydrated with healthy beverages. There is a specialist called a sports dietitian that can help them meet their needs. Go to www.eatright.org and look for a dietitian with the credentials of CSSD.
Due to two major prevailing energy systems, figure skaters need to eat to meet both aerobic and anaerobic energy demands. All skaters need an adequate energy intake in order to perform, and a majority of calories from carbohydrate. Like other appearance sports, the culture of figure skating embraces a lean physique (for both males and females) and so dieting behaviors are common. Skaters must make sure they get enough Calories and nutrients to train and compete.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

What Should I Eat Before a Workout?
What Should I Eat Before a Workout?
Eat Protein Before a Workout to Burn More Calories
Are You a Better Athlete Now or When You Won the Gold Medal?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?